Federal Motor Carrier Application Guide

The FMCSA monitors and ensures compliance with motor carrier safety (all carriers) and commercial (for-hire, non-exempt carriers) regulations. Companies may find they are subject to registration requirements for both safety (safety registration) and commercial regulation (operating authority registration). Companies subject to the safety requirements are also required to obtain a USDOT Number.

This determination is based on self-classification of a company's planned business operation using criteria such as cargo, operation, and company type. Online resources designed to help streamline the application process are also briefly reviewed.

For any additional questions, please contact MDOT at enforcement@mdot.ms.gov.

Do You Need A DOT Number?

  • Are you a Motor Carrier transporting Property of Passengers or Commerce?  

Do You Need Operating Authority?

  • Will you be crossing state lines? -